Thursday, June 8, 2017

First drafts

I just finished reading The Clockwork Muse by Eviatar Zerubavel, and found a quote about first drafts inspiring. Dr. Zerubavel is quoting writer Mario Vargas Llosa:
"the first version is written in a real state of anxiety. Then once I've finished that draft... everything changes. I know then that the story is there, buried in what I call my 'magma.' It's absolute chaos but the novel is in there, lost in a mass of dead elements, superfluous scenes that will disappear... It's very chaotic and makes sense only to me. But the story is born under there." (quoted from "The Art of Fiction--Mario Vargas Llosa," The Paris Review 116 (1990): 57, in Zerubavel's The Clockwork Muse, p. 51)
I don't know about you, but I as I write first drafts of academic or creative writing, I have to constantly remind myself that I don't know how it will end up, and it's ok to just keep going. I made this drawing (and took this incredibly low quality photo in the middle of the night) to remind myself of my job as a writer:




 Your Job Is To Make A Mess, brought to you by a snake, an elephant, a bunny, a dog/deer hybrid, a mouse, a whale, and a cat. And me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.